18 Nov Restricted Items and Products on Amazon
Surely, Amazon looks like a place where you can sell anything. However, like any other e-commerce site or store, they have some rules on what you can’t sell on Amazon and other rules related to product listings that you should be following. All products must comply with those rules and regulations and with Amazon’s policies, which essentially means listing no illegal and unsafe products.
If you wish to supply goods on Amazon, you should review their policies and Restricted Products Help pages. You surely cannot supply any goods that are illegal, unsafe, products that are available by prescription only, or if they are on the list of restricted items on Amazon.
Besides consulting with Amazon’s policies and restricted items list, you should also always rely on your legal counsel if you have any questions regarding laws and regulations concerning the products you supply.
However, if it does happen that you supply a product that is violating the law or any of Amazon’s policies, even the list of restricted products on Amazon, Amazon will act fast. They could take appropriate corrective actions, which could include termination or suspension of your selling privileges, destruction of inventory in their fulfillment centers, termination of the business relationship or even permanent withholding of payments. Not to mention that selling of illegal or unsafe product could lead to legal action.
Additional related policies
- Some categories on Amazon will require you to obtain pre-approval from Amazon in order to be able to list and sell in that desired category.
- Some of the categories will require of you to provide some additional information and/or supporting guarantee before creating a listing in that category.
- If you are participating in Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA), you should also review the FBA Product Restrictions page. This page lists all the products that are not acceptable by FBA program.
- Some products that you wish to list are subject to additional regulation in the state of California.
- If you want to list products that will be purchased internationally, you take the responsibility for conducting proper and thorough research in order to make sure that the products listed comply with all the laws and regulations.
So, in order to be fully aware of what you can’t sell on Amazon, you should take a close look at the list of restricted items on Amazon below.
- Animals & Animal Products
- Art – Fine Art
- Art – Home Decor
- Automotive and Powersports
- Composite Wood Products
- Cosmetics & Skin/Hair Care
- Currency, Coins, Cash Equivalents, and Gift Cards
- Dietary Supplements
- Drugs & drug paraphernalia
- Explosives, Weapons, and Related Items
- Export Controls
- Food & Beverage
- Chilled and frozen foods
- Gambling & Lottery
- Hazardous and Dangerous Items
- Human Parts & Burial Artifacts
- Jewelry & Precious Gems
- Laser products
- Lock Picking & Theft Devices
- Medical devices and accessories
- Offensive and Controversial Materials
- Organic Products
- Plants, Plant Products, and Seeds
- Postage Meters & Stamps
- Recalled Products
- Recycling electronics
- Sex & Sensuality
- Subscriptions and Periodicals
- Surveillance Equipment
- Tobacco & Tobacco-Related Products
- Warranties, Service Plans, Contracts, and Guarantees
- Other Restricted Products
Before you even start creating your listing, you should be aware of all the restricted products on Amazon. Make sure to thoroughly research and read the lists and their subcategories in order not to get penalized by Amazon. They are constantly innovating and improving ways of getting detected and preventing illegal and unsafe products from reaching their market, so you should be very careful. Additionally, Amazon encourages customers and sellers to report any listings that violate their policies in order for their platform to be legal and safe for everyone.